Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Missing in Action

Written Yesterday:

I realized today that I hadn't been on here for a bit. I went to google reader and I had over 250 blog posts to read. ARGH! I've been very crabby at night for some reason and haven't even been on here. Berkley has been so fussy for the last week. I'm not sure what's up with that. I started therapy (not physical - ha!) and I absolutely love my therapist! He is so awesome. We have set several goals and I see him once a week for now. I don't really have any pressing issues, just bouts of depression and such. He really helps me look at things differently. It is really nice!!! I asked him how we could talk about nothing and I could feel so much better. He said that we were talking about things, just slowly.


Today...right now:

I'm sitting here listening to my 20 month old daughter throw the worst tantrum. She's screaming because daddy went outside without her. She's hyperventilating. I don't know what to do with her. I'm going to let her scream it out. As much as I can't stand hearing it, I also just can't give into her. I am sooooo sick of the screaming. Even distracting and offering candy doesn't work. I'm about to lose my cool. I will blog later. Hopefully this will wear her down and she'll sleep.

2 comments:

Mimmy said...

Crystal - First of all, you were missed. Secondly, you are doing the absolutely right thing by letting her scream it out. We had some friends some time ago (I'm sure there screamer is married with kids of his own by now) whose baby had a heart condition. He learned very young to use it to his advantage and would scream to get his way. His parents were terribly afraid of causing him to have a heart attack so they would give in and let him have what he wanted. The doctor was terribly disturbed when he found out what they were doing and told them to do just exactly what you are doing. When faced with their fears he told them that if he screamed long enough to turn blue he would pass out, quit screaming and they could put him to bed. After about two times of passing out and finding himself in bed he quit the tantrums. Hopefully you won't have to deal with anything this extreme but should you, trust me, it won't last for long. Counting the three grandchildren I have had for 10 years of their lives I've raised 6 kids and all of them tried tantrums. Giving in is not the answer and in the longrun degrades the respect that they have for you.
Hang tough Mama. You can do it.

God Bless,
Mimmy

P.S. Congrats on the therapy. I did my share and it does help.

Jenni said...

Congrats on finding a good therapist you are happy with. :)

And why is it that our second borns are so very head strong and VOCAL? Good luck with her... I feel your pain. :(