Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I heart Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and Followers!

Today was Berkley's 6 month checkup with the pediatric urologist at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. Vandy is a hospital unlike any other. I have never been to a hospital that is a happy place and Vandy sure is that! It is so colorfully decorated and everything is kid oriented. Our doctor was running behind and we ended up on the bottom floor where they have a big model train set up. Brock just about had a stroke (you all know his love for trains). While we were standing there, I saw a little boy that was tiny. He had a feeding tube coming out his nose and what looked like hair loss. I immediately thought cancer and turned around trying to conceal my eyes that were tearing up. I told my mom that I just couldn't look at that. Not because I was disgusted, but because I don't understand how a little child could suffer like that or why children have to fight illnesses such as cancer. I need to count my blessings more...let's put it that way!

Speaking of healthy kids...Berkley's kidney is doing GREAT! We go back for a checkup in November. We had been going every 3 months, then 6 months and now 7 to 8 months! He said that if she continues to do well with no infections, we will keep scheduling further out. He also spoke about the next hurdle; POTTY TRAINING! I thought...WHAT? She's almost 19 months old and we are thinking of potty training already??? He said that we could not rush her and we had to let her do it on her own time. We also have to make sure she goes to pee every hour to hour and a half. This will help prevent a UTI which is our main threat everyday. If she gets a high fever without any symptoms of something like a common cold, strains to pee, doesn't pee as much, we have to notify Dr. Adams immediately so they can get a urine sample. (This is horrible because she's too little to pee in a cup so they have to cath her.) We have had to do that once besides right after birth and luckily she didn't have an infection. Peeing every hour will also have to happen even after she goes to kindergarten. That should be interesting because someone will have to take her to the bathroom and make sure she pees everytime she goes.

Anyhow, I'm tired of typing. More to come later...it has been a really long day!

P.S. I only have 3 followers...but I LOVE them!!!

No comments: